Making Pickles in a Harsch Crock. Recipe Please.

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Making Pickles in a Harsch Crock. Recipe Please.

Postby Earth Witch on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:36 am

I've made some fantastic sauerkraut in my Harsch crock and I'm now ready to try some pickles. The cucumbers are on the vine, but I don't have a recipe. Can I use any standard pickle recipe? The crock comes with a recipe, but it sounds rather bland and calls for whey. I've been told the whey is optional - true or not? Anyone have a tried and true dill/sour/garlic pickle recipe that works in a Harsch. Thanks!
Earth Witch

Re: Making Pickles in a Harsch Crock. Recipe Please.

Postby jbazuzi on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:44 pm

As a general framework, use vegetables, brine, and spices. If you have a previous vegetable ferment that you liked, you can add some of that as a starter, but it's optional.

I'd skip the whey.
jbazuzi

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 am

I'm sure any recipe for lacto-fermented (salt brined) pickles will work for your Harsch crock. There is really nothing magical happening inside a Harsch crock that doesn't happen in any other fermenting vessel - it simply has a nifty way of keeping out "contaminants." The whey is optional...it adds a healthy dose of inoculum to the ferment, which might otherwise progress more slowly since the Harsch crocked is sealed off from airborne bacteria. In other words the whey speeds things along. Unless you're vegan or have a dairy allergy I would suggest adding just a tiny bit of whey if you have some available.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby Earth Witch on Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks folks. I did plow ahead in order to use the cucumbers at peak. I used Sandor's brine measurements along with a garlic dill barrel pickle recipe I found in an old Jewish cookbook. I didn't use the whey (although I have some in the freezer from my last cheese creation), but I will probably use it next time to see if I notice a difference. I only regret not throwing in a few hot pepper flakes. Unlike the jar methods (which I have never had any luck with pickles), I don't open the Harsch until I feel the veggies are "ready".

I'll let you know how it worked out in a few weeks.
Earth Witch

Postby Lettie on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:59 am

Hey Earth Witch, would you be willing to share your recipe from the old Jewish cookbook? I too am looking for a great recipe! Thanks.
Lettie

Return to Vegetable Ferments