water kefir jelly/slime...

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

water kefir jelly/slime...

Postby Lauradinosaur on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:05 am

I have some kefir grains that have been with me for a long time, and are always very hardy and reliable.

I recently made a batch of buchu tea kefir (which was lovely by the way) and then decided to go on and make a nettle tea batch.

I made it by brewing some strong nettle tea and, once it was cold, diluting it and adding it to the grains with some sugar.

Over the next few days it seemed to be going as per usual, bubbles rising every-so-often. Didn't notice anything strange.

When I went to get some this morning I found that the whole batch had solidified somewhat, with the consistency of egg whites. Looked like kefir, tasted like kefir, just had the consistency of snot. I rinsed the grains and threw the jelly away as the texture creeped me out a bit.

Has anyone had a similar experience? any ideas why this might have happened? I'm wondering if its a freak accident or something to do with nettle maybe? (which would be a shame as i was specifically trying to make nettle kefir for a friend with gout).
Lauradinosaur

Re: water kefir jelly/slime...

Postby Tim Hall on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:37 am

It may not have a pleasant texture, but it's nothing harmful. Water kefir seems to react this way when certain things are added...not sure why. I've seen it happen with the addition of ginger root. The snot is a complex sugar, called dextran, and is harmless.

You might try fermenting your water kefir with nothing added, remove the grains, then mix it with other additives.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby Lauradinosaur on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:00 am

Hey Tim,
thanks for the reply, sorry i didn't notice sooner.
good to know that the goop is dextran and not something signalling the death of my colony!
my next batch of kefir went goopy as well, so i rinsed the grains and kept rinsing them every so often (keeping them in sugar water in the fridge) and eventually today i noticed the same old kefir water when i went to have a look.
thanks for the tip on making the kefir and then mixing it with additives afterwards. i was using the kefir to make the nettle a more acceptable drink for someone who doesn't believe in fancy herbal things, as well as making it better for him too, so the snotty texture was a definite no no!
cheers
Lauradinosaur

Postby Aliyanna on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:07 pm

My grains are doing the same thing. Mine looks like a nice kombachu mother....all white and pretty....but my kombachu moms are in the fridge on vacation and have been for a few months.

They have done this at different times....sometimes like a jelly or goo but this time like a mother. Is it still the same thing....this sugar colony....will this make a different drink if used by itself.

We were doin apple juice ferments. Trying to get some pros into the kids..they love it in apple juice.
Aliyanna

Postby amberweigle on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Can someone post a pic of it?
amberweigle

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments