Ener-G Pure Rice Bran (cereal) OK for Nuka bed?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Ener-G Pure Rice Bran (cereal) OK for Nuka bed?

Postby Kerkls on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:44 pm

I ordered rice bran from my local natural foods grocery to start my first ever Nukazuke culture. What they delivered was Ener-G "Pure Rice Bran - A Hearty Natural Fiber Cereal". It only lists one Ingredient - "Stabilized Rice Bran" which the manufacturer's website says has no additives and has only been subjected to low heat. The product looks like a granular powder. Is it OK to use in making the Nuka culture, or should I get an unprocessed rice bran?
Kerkls

Re: Ener-G Pure Rice Bran (cereal) OK for Nuka bed?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Is it powder or more like flakes? I bet it'll work. If you can't really return it anyway, what's the harm in trying?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Kerkls on Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:59 pm

The Ener-G Pure Rice Bran is definitely not flakes. Rather it is milled like a granular powder. My principal concern is one of time invested in trying to culture the pickling bed if this formulation is not suitable in the long run.
Kerkls

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:42 am

Dunno. Both of my nuka pots were using flakes of wheat bran. The first worked beautifully and the second was composted after six weeks of dealing with horrible stench and trying to amend through whatever had gone wrong.

If I had the stuff you have, I'd try it out and see what I could do. It's true it might be a waste of time, but you'd learn something.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:49 am

I'm starting up a new nuka pot using this rice bran that is much more powdery than the wheat bran that I've used in the past. Hopefully it'll work.

Does anyone have any other experience with varied textures of bran? Is it that rice bran is powdery and wheat bran is flaky or is it a matter of preparation technique?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Danobri on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Kerkis,

Did you ever try a Nuka bed using Ener-G Pure Rice Bran? If so I'd love to know how it turned out as I just used the same product to start a Nuka bed (my first) today, and was also a little concerned when I read "Stabilized Rice Bran."

Thanks,
Dan
Danobri

Postby Kerkls on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:02 am

Dan - I have not used the Ener-G brand rice bran. It took a while but I finally bought Wel-Pac Nuka Zuke No Moto Pickling Rice Bran on line from Pacific Mercantile in Denver, CO. I started my nuka doko per Sandor Katz's Wild Fermentation instructions in early May 2012 and have been using it to good effect since. I am about to do my first major refurbishment of the bed because I have been pickling beets and their juices have turned the bed a brick red color that infuses everything else I pickle with their color and taste. I will soon have two nuka doko beds - one for beets and the other for all else. I have two 8-oz boxes of the Ener-G bran which I am going to put in the beet bed. Except for a little starter from my original batch, my new nuka doko will be made from the Wel-Pac bran.

Sorry for the tardy reply to your post.
Kerkls
Kerkls

Postby Danobri on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Kerkis,

I did end up using Ener-G brand rice bran and it has worked out fine. Ultimately it occurred to me that Sandor toasts his rice bran before starting his nuka pot, which is essentially the same as "heat stabilizing." I think the bran is just a medium for creating an anaerobic environment, but ultimately it is the vegetables that provide the LAB.

Good luck!
Dan
Danobri

Return to Vegetable Ferments