Wooden disk to hold the kraut down

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Wooden disk to hold the kraut down

Postby pythonesk on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Hiya - I bought a 1 gallon glass crock (cookie jar) by Anchor Hocking. Because of the indented lip around the top I can't fit any dish at all in there to hold the veg down. Somewhere on the web I read that you can use a wooden disk - or two semi-circles - for that but to use birch or beech.

So my DH made me two semi-circles out of birch or beech and it worked ok the first time, but now when I use them my kraut goes bad fast. When I use a plastic bag filled with water my kraut is fine, but I don't want to use plastic on my food.

Does anyone how how I could treat these wooden semi-circles so they stop ruining my kraut?

Thanks!

LL
pythonesk

Re: Wooden disk to hold the kraut down

Postby Tim Hall on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:48 am

I sometimes use the same system. I don't know if this will help, but I soaked my boards in a heavy brine for a day prior to their first use. I may have even boiled them in the brine, but I can't recall for sure.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby pythonesk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi Tim - And you don't boil them between batches? Do you just let them dry out between batches?
Thanks!
Laurel
pythonesk

Postby Tim Hall on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Yeah, I just let them dry out. I figured once they're imbibed with salt and lactobacillus they should be fine.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Return to Vegetable Ferments