I've got a question about sourdough starter I'm hoping someone can help with.
I have a starter that's about a year old, and has been doing very nicely. It gets used/refed/put back in the fridge about once a week, sometimes twice, wakes up nicely and gives a wonderfully mild loaf.
Anyway. Went yesterday to grab it to start a sponge, and found that there was pink mold on top of the thin layer of hooch (I assume it was mold - little flat pink spots, like opaque oil on water). Just the surface, nothing beyond the oxygen zone, and no particularly different aroma. I salvaged about a tablespoon of starter from the middle, started feeding it back up at room temperature three times a day, and so far it's bubbling merrily and un-pinkily.
A Google search and typical sources, though, insist that PINK IS EVIL and DEADLY and YOU WILL KILL YOUR LOVED ONES... so I'm hesitating on using the starter in my baking. On the other hand, these are the same folks who say to throw away dairy that's stood out more than four hours, and at last count my keshk experiment had been sitting out eight days, so, I thought I'd try the experts. :D
Advice, anyone? Was the mold just, well, mold, which happens now and then and is salvageable from, or is there a point where a sourdough starter can actually become hazardous to health - and if so, does it have anything to do with the color pink?