Lacto-fermented Apple Cider: How long will it stay good?

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: Lacto-fermented Apple Cider: How long will it stay good?

Postby Tim Hall on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:15 pm

I don't know what Fallon's prescribed fermentation period is, but I imagine it'd take more than just a few days...but maybe not.

If you're inoculating your ferment whey/LAB, keep in mind that letting this ferment go for a long period of time is probably going to produce a very sour drink. There's nothing wrong with that, but it may not resemble what you're accustomed to as hard cider.

If I were going for hard cider, I'd skip the whey and salt, and aim for a yeast-dominant ferment using either wild yeasts from apple rinds or a pedigreed yeast.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby johnny71 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Well here's an update,

I made a new batch of lacto-fermented cider. I did something a little different this time, i rinsed the apples in a 3:1 water:vinegar solution and then rinsed them in water. Then juiced them, added whey and salt and let it sit for 3 days. I then scraped off the scum on top and put the cider into ball pint canning jars.

After 2 weeks in the fridge the cider is noticeably different. The color is a much darker amber color, with some sediment on the bottom. The first batch I made was much more yellow like an ale beer. The smell of this batch is nice and sweet, and the taste was great.

I'm pretty confident that the ball canning jars will keep oxygen out, I just don't know if carbonation will continue to build over time, as there is some build up now. I'm going to try and resist releasing the pressure as I don't want to introduce oxygen. I'm curious to see how long this cider tastes good and will continue to let you know.
johnny71

Postby johnny71 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Update:

3 weeks and two of the lids starting deforming in the fridge. I released the pressure on all the jars and re-tightened. The really deformed jar I used right away and the level of carbonation has increased (obviously). It is almost like a soda pop now.
johnny71

Previous

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments