Maximum Salt Concentration for Fermentation

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Maximum Salt Concentration for Fermentation

Postby agines19 on Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:07 am

Made some kimchi last night and chose not to rinse the cabbage before mixing in the paste which is also salty. I thought it would be fine as I like salty things but how salty can you make it till fermentation stops working properly?

I think I'm around 6-8% with this batch. I saw some places that said up to 16% but they didn't seem confident so thought I would ask here.

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/quest ... fermentati
agines19

Re: Maximum Salt Concentration for Fermentation

Postby agines19 on Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:25 pm

Kimchee seems to have come out fine as it has bubbled and turned out rather well.

I would like to know max salt content if anyone can confirm the 16% or share how high they have gone without ruining or ruining a ferment. :)
agines19

Postby Christopher Weeks on Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:50 pm

The only 16% that I know about is a practice performed by commercial pickle (pickled cucumber) makers where they store them long-term in 16% saline and then soak them in vats of tap-water before canning for sale.

I don't know the answer to your actual question, but it's hard to imagine a normal fermentation process at 16%.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby agines19 on Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:36 pm

That is helpful to know. If it bubbles, is that a good indication it's going through the full process?
agines19

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:53 am

If it bubbles, something is happening. Try it and then taste it at the end. If it's both pleasant and sour enough for preservative effect, you're probably good even if it did go through a different set of microbes.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby agines19 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:40 pm

Many thanks for your inputs. I had not conceived that different salt ranges could cause a diff bacteria to grow but still reach the same end result as they eventually die off and a final bacteria takes over. Thanks for expanding my thinking about the process. Very helpful indeed. It did come out rather well although I think next time I definitely will wash the cabbage at least once :).
agines19

Return to Vegetable Ferments