How long for Sauerkraut?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

How long for Sauerkraut?

Postby solomani on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:04 pm

How long should I leave cabbage? I am a novice and have been leaving it for 4 to 7 days. The last two batches I left for two weeks. They both taste the same to me and look fine. What is the recommendation from veteran fermentors?

Thanks in advance.
solomani

Re: How long for Sauerkraut?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Try some out to eight weeks. If you like that try some to twelve. Etc. The fermentation is just getting started at two weeks.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Dgocowboy on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:16 am

The fermentation is just getting started at two weeks.

Would this hold true for other veggies, too, that the fermentation is just getting started at two weeks? I'm specifically thinking dilly beans and cauliflower - should they be left out longer than 7 - 10 days in order to increase probiotic benefits?
Dgocowboy

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:24 am

I can't really say that I know that, particularly if your primary concern is probiotics (my primary concern is flavor). But it might be worth a try and see how your tastebuds and gut reacts.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Tibor on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:57 am

My primary desires in ferments are flavor and texture. I leave sliced carrots out for 10 days max. because I like them crunchy. Sliced beets and Kholrabi, I leave longer. I cut my cabbage chunky and do 2 weeks for the same reason. I keep track of what I do every time so I can fine tune what I, my kids, and all my friends like. Experiment and taste your stuff often and see where it takes you. It also depends on which vegies you add to your primary one. The possibilities are endless.
Tibor

Return to Vegetable Ferments