10-year miso (MULTI-year miso) - Experience, advice?

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

10-year miso (MULTI-year miso) - Experience, advice?

Postby courtlande6 on Sun May 04, 2014 6:03 pm

Hello friendly fermenters,

Avid koji and miso-maker here thoroughly enjoying 3-year chickpea akamiso (red miso) from 2011. DELICIOUS! :D

I've been busy growing koji (got ~80 cups of frozen barley koji in the freezer) and am looking to make a few LARGER size batches (6 gallon, 3 gallon etc) for LONG-TERM miso consumption. I want to stockpile some miso for future use.

There is almost no mention of miso ferments for longer than three years in Shurtleff's book.

**Do any folks have experience with making miso that is aged longer than 3 years?

**Do any folks have experience eating 3, 5, 10 year miso? I once heard that in Japan, traditionally, a batch of miso was made upon a child's birth and consumed at marriage.

I also just plain imagine that miso aged for longer than three years was traditionally consumed in Japan but would like some confirmation before I set loose my prized koji and years of anticipation on some (hopefully) dank miso!

TO OUR HEALTH and THANK YOU,

sMyles
courtlande6

Re: 10-year miso (MULTI-year miso) - Experience, advice?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:02 pm

Clearly, no one here knew how to help you, but did you discover anything elsewhere?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: 10-year miso (MULTI-year miso) - Experience, advice?

Postby WWFSM on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Old thread, sorry, but I've been offline for a few months and am just coming back to things here.

The Miso Book by Belleme mentions longer fermented miso (5 to 10 years). When the long fermented miso is dug out, it's very dry, dark and hard, which stores and transports well without pasteurization, but needs extra love to be used. The author advises against over-fermenting the miso as it changes the taste. However, if the salt, koji, bean ratio is correct (ie, lots of beans to koji, extra salt) it can work and be very delicious. Basically Belleme's opinion is that the recipe needs to be right for the length of ferment.

I'm still building confidence with sweet (short ferment) miso, but can't wait to try my hands at one year miso. Please let us know how it goes if you do try some of the longer fermented misos - what recipe/ratios would you use?
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Return to Legume Ferments