Is sour miso edible? It was made with slimy koji

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Is sour miso edible? It was made with slimy koji

Postby PCFumanchu on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi,

I made my first batch of koji and miso from scratch, and I may have made something inedible. I'd love to hear someone's opinion on whether I should just throw it away or continue eating it.

When I first made my koji, it became slimy (which I'm guessing meant the bacteria took over), but I decided to try it anyway to see what would happen. I made a "miso" from an assortment of pintos and black-eyed peas that were well-cooked. The "koji" to bean proportion was about equal (2.5 cups each) and I added about a 1/4 cup salt.

One month later, I checked on my crock to see if I'd have to chuck it, but my miso-ish actually smelled really nice. Specifically exactly like applesauce. I didn't taste it then. Another month later, I opened it up again and tasted it. It didn't taste bad, but it did have a very strong sour flavor to it.

In the "Book of Miso", it says to discard the miso if it goes sour, but is that just because it's a question of not being a desirable taste? Or is it because that the miso itself would not be good for your health. I figure my batch is not really miso since it was fermented by the bacteria and not the fungus, but is that necessarily a bad thing?

I'd love some thoughts on the matter.
PCFumanchu

Return to Legume Ferments