[Need help] How can I rescue my sweet Miso (too dry)?

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

[Need help] How can I rescue my sweet Miso (too dry)?

Postby cpb on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:13 am

Dear all,

I made a batch of sweet Miso. I followed close the suggested recipes while I filled the jar (4 liters) -> the paste was not to dry (cracked) or splattered when smashed on the surface. I filled the glass tightly without air pockets! The jar is closed by a rubber gasket lid (or whatever this rubber sealing thing on top of the glass is called in English).

However, after 2.5 weeks at room temperature ~21°C my Miso looks like that (it got cracks and the Koji is still clearly visible). I have the feeling it is much to dry??? Can I rescue it by adding water??? How shall I proceed???

Thanks for your help.

Chris.

Here a pic of my "dry" Miso:

cpb

Re: [Need help] How can I rescue my sweet Miso (too dry)?

Postby cpb on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:50 am

Okey dokey

since no one has an idea I dared to open my Miso jar :) , poked around with a spoon and dug out some wonderful stuff (already after 3 weeks). It seems that the cracks are appearing because the the whole mass is rising aka fermenting. The Miso is not quite ready but already on an excellent track.

I put a zip-lock bag filled with H2O on top (into the jar) and it seems that the pressure is enough that some Tamari appears. (but it looks kind of crappy).

I will let it sit for another week and then check.

Yummi
cpb

Re: [Need help] How can I rescue my sweet Miso (too dry)?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Yay!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Legume Ferments