Flaxseed tempeh

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Flaxseed tempeh

Postby Eidel on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:24 am

Hi!

Does anyone here know how to make flaxseed tempeh (i.e. soybeans with flaxseeds)? I have seen a store bought product on various blogs but not any recipe. I have found a sunflower seed tempeh recipe where you have to boil the sunflower seeds before you start to ferment them with the soybeans, maybe its the same with flax?

Best,
Eidel Mando (my first post!)
Eidel

Re: Flaxseed tempeh

Postby David on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:30 am

I would suggest that you look at and contact here:
http://www.makethebesttempeh.org/experiments/
David

Postby Tibor on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:52 am

I've never worked with flax seed but have made tempeh with sesame seeds. you toast the sesame seeds till they start to pop, a little browned and you add it to the soy beans , (I use sesame seed with Garbanzo tempeh) after you are done cooking them and just when you begin to dry them to add the spore. The toasted seeds will pick up enough moisture from the beans and makes a real nutty addition to the finished tempeh. I imagine you could do the same with flax seed . Being unfamiliar with flax seed, I'm not sure how long the toasting part would take ..... Try it!
Tibor

Postby grumps on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:09 am

As mentioned in the suggestion for toasting Sesame Seeds - the trick is in getting the seed coats to split in order for the mycelium to have a crack at it. The mycelium cannot penetrate seed coats. Recently I found cracked organic hemp seeds and I just added them (to rye flakes) before incubation and it tasted great.
grumps

Return to Legume Ferments