How long will homemade yogurt keep in the refrigerator?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

How long will homemade yogurt keep in the refrigerator?

Postby gabbagabbahey on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm making a batch of 4 quarts of yogurt today, which I will be fermenting for about 24 hours (in order to remove most of the lactose). How long will it keep?

Also, how long will the whey keep, if I remove some?

Thanks!
gabbagabbahey

Re: How long will homemade yogurt keep in the refrigerator?

Postby Gutted on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:00 pm

It, the yoghurt, should be okay for at least 2 weeks. I've kept some for about 18 days with only some excess lactic acid to show for it at the top. The longer it goes, without adding food for the bacteria, the more lactic acid is produced and the sourer it becomes. The bacteria will begin to die when the food source runs out.
Gutted

Postby WWFSM on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:53 pm

I'll keep mine till it separates (which can be 2 days to 2 weeks), then I use it to make cream cheese.

The shelf life of yoghurt seems to depend on the milk you started with, the kind of yoghurt (room temp or heat cultured), and the time of year (especially true for grass fed cows/goats/animals because their milk directly reflects their diet).

Whey (cultured whey like from yoghurt cheese) on the other hand is difficult to say. Sally Fallon states that it lasts 6 months or longer, others say use it within a month. Some people say it will keep for up to 4 years in the fridge. Personally, I feel 4 years is too long. Usually, I'll toss the whey after 4 months.
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Postby gabbagabbahey on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Well, it's been three weeks, and I just used the last of it today. Seemed fine. Thanks everyone! :D
gabbagabbahey

Postby Gutted on Fri May 09, 2014 11:50 am

I left a few small sealed pots in the fridge for a good few months and it ended up covered in black mould so I had to throw it out and sterilize the containers. I keep everything very clean as well, sterilize the jars, boil the milk so there should be the minimum possible contamination.

I won't leave anything that long again!
Gutted

Postby fermenthead on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:04 pm

I have had a jar of raw goat milk in the refrigerator for about 3 or 4 years. I've only opened it a couple of times until now. It has separated completely with some (curds?) forming on the bottom. It has only just started to get a little blue/green mold on top of the cream. It smells and tastes really good. To my unsophisticated palate it tastes like a cross between feta and chevre I've just separated the cream and whey and plan on making some stuff with them. Any ideas? Sandor mentioned in one of his books that there is a place in NY where they have been using the same yogurt culture for over a hundred years.
fermenthead

Return to Dairy Ferments