Temperature range

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Temperature range

Postby Mike S on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi all. New to the forum and fermenting in general.

I feel like this must have been covered but I haven't been able to find quite what I'm looking for.

In the winter months I keep the temperature in my house between 65-69 F (18-20 C). Of course the further from the thermostat the cooler the actual temperature, but I have what seems like a good spot near the thermostat matches the thermostat setting (I've been testing with a jar of water and a meat thermometer).

From what I've found these temps may be a little below optimal for kefir and yogurt. I'm wondering if this range will be acceptable, and just cause the fermentation process to go a little slower? Will the fluctuations cause problems? I use an adjustable thermostat so it's set for different temps depending on the time of day.
Mike S

Re: Temperature range

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm no expert, but I think you will fail to get almost any yogurt culture to set up at those temperatures. Viili works at 70-77 and as far as I know, it's the most cold-tolerant of the "normal" strains, at least.

You might get some souring flavor.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Mike S on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. I've seen the 70-77 range for mesophylic strains and a more broad range for kefir, but I haven't been able to determine if that is the "optimal" range or the only range.

I would hate to buy starter cultures and have them just die, I'd much rather wait until the spring when I keep the temperature in the 70s.
Mike S

Postby Gutted on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Why not buy or make a yoghurt maker?

A container with heating element and temperature controller could be purchased quite cheaply. The chinese temperature controllers only cost about $20-$25.

I have a yoghurt maker but the temperature control is not all that brilliant and the temperature can rise far too high at times , especially if it has been on for a long time. It hit 50C on one occasion when it was on for a long time but it is usually around 43C. It has a very basic heating and temperature control with no active temperature monitoring. I have been meaning to make myself a yoghurt maker with a decent temperature controller which can be adjusted so that it can maintain most temperatures providing they are below ambient. I do not want to have to have heating/cooling circuits for the rare times that they would be used in my environment. Heating is enough because it rarely gets hot enough to get above the temperatures that I would need.

A suitable enclosure has been the hardest thing to find. I considered getting a yoghurt maker like the one below and using that but most are smaller than what I wanted. It would of been nice to be able to accommodate a large/tall container for larger batches but I also wanted to do a large number, at least 12, smaller yoghurt pots. My current one does 7.
http://www.tribest.co.uk/Yoghurt-Making/Yolife

The advantage of having a proper temperature controller is that different cultures can be cultured some at 20C-30C and others up to 45C. Some bacteria only multiply at lower temperatures. Bacillus Subtilis and similar soil based organisms prefer lower temperatures above 20C and up to 30-35C. I was attempting to culture these using my yoghurt maker and had to add a layer of polystyrene to get a temperature low enough to do it. That is not an ideal way of doing it, having proper temperature regulation would be much easier.
Gutted

Postby WWFSM on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:04 am

It may be you just need the right culture for your environment. You can take a culture and 'train' it to like the lower temperatures, but why not start with something that already enjoys the environment you love?

Fil Mjolk works at the lower room temperature. I've had it culture as low as 65F with no problems or delays. But it seems to like between 68 and 72 best.

Villi is really temp sensitive, wanting between 70 and 71 F.

I haven't tried any of the other room temp milk cultures yet, as I too like a cooler home and fil mjolk fits my needs best.

For me Fil Mjolk is the most versatile of the room temp yoghurt cultures. Everything from cultured butter to cheese, and yes tasty yoghurt too. http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca/2013/11/some-amazing-things-you-can-make-with.html I picked mine up here https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/20790710/fil-mjolk-yogurt-starter-culture-organic
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Postby Mike S on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:28 am

WWFSM wrote:It may be you just need the right culture for your environment. You can take a culture and 'train' it to like the lower temperatures, but why not start with something that already enjoys the environment you love?

Fil Mjolk works at the lower room temperature. I've had it culture as low as 65F with no problems or delays. But it seems to like between 68 and 72 best.

Villi is really temp sensitive, wanting between 70 and 71 F.

I haven't tried any of the other room temp milk cultures yet, as I too like a cooler home and fil mjolk fits my needs best.

For me Fil Mjolk is the most versatile of the room temp yoghurt cultures. Everything from cultured butter to cheese, and yes tasty yoghurt too. http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca/2013/11/some-amazing-things-you-can-make-with.html I picked mine up here https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/20790710/fil-mjolk-yogurt-starter-culture-organic

Cool, sounds like Fil Mjolk is for me.

thanks everyone for the responses!
Mike S

Return to Dairy Ferments