Kefir Problem

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Kefir Problem

Postby brigidsfarm on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:49 pm

I have been making kefir for years without any issues. We do not baby our grains and after drying the goats for a few months they typically sit in the fridge in some sour milk until we start up in the spring. They always clean up nicely and after a few batches to clean them up the kefir is excellent.

So last week I made some. It sat in the pantry which is cool and being in Vermont it has been chilly here. I let it sit longer- about 2 days figuring it was going slower than it did in the summer. When I opened it to add some to pancakes I found some very thick kefir. I can't even make goats yogurt that thick. Additionally it was not the classic sour taste but it was a cultured product. I added it to flour, etc for pancakes and used only baking soda as I do with yogurt or kefir instead of milk. The whole grain pancakes were light and bubbly so it was working. But it did not resemble any kefir I have made.

I am wondering if it slowed down and just clabbered rather than growing the kefir culture? I will say that prior to making the kefir, I drained the grains from the previous batch and they had a very "mucousy" coating on them. But the grains look fine. I always wash them and clean them up before using so I'm not moving older milk into the new batch.

Has anyone else had this sort of experience?

Jane
brigidsfarm

Return to Dairy Ferments