Cooling Milk in the Refrigerator?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Cooling Milk in the Refrigerator?

Postby skivler on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:20 am

In regards to the 24 hour yogurt….does anyone see a problem with putting the milk once heated, into the refrigerator with the lid on to cool prior to adding the starter? I've seen lots of posts about just letting it sit or putting it in a sink with ice water. I haven't seen anyone recommend putting it in the refrigerator though. Thoughts?
skivler

Re: Cooling Milk in the Refrigerator?

Postby Sheppie on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:27 am

I don't put hot things into the refrigerator as the temperature difference is too great and it's both bad for the product and for the fridge. You can cool the milk outside in "natural" environment or as people suggest just let it sit and cool off. But no, don't risk with putting it in the fridge.
Sheppie

Re: Cooling Milk in the Refrigerator?

Postby Gutted on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:06 pm

When I need to cool my milk pan or herb pan quickly I put it on the sink drainer in an aluminium foil disposable roasting container and fill it with cold water. I remove the pan, empty the foil container and repeat two or three times and it cools it down in about half an hour.

The foil turkey roasting containers sell very cheaply and last for quite a long time. They fit my largest pan with plenty of room to spare but it's only about 5 litres.

I would not put a pan in the sink because of bacterial contamination of the pan which could end up in the milk when pouring.
Gutted

Return to Dairy Ferments