fil mjolk RIP

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

fil mjolk RIP

Postby WWFSM on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:05 am

So sad tonight. Got out my Fil Mjolk culture to get the cream ready for butter making. Only there was this funny smell... it was just like blue cheese.

Palm hits forehead, of course. Someone gave us that lovely, aged, stilton that we aged another few months before eating it. Separate parts of the fridge, but it was several year old blue cheese that must have a very strong culture living in it and got into the Fil Mjolk culture. Even though there were layers of plastic, glass, more plastic, more glass, and ceramic between them. But Fil Mjolk is no good and I must wait till the cheese has moved out before getting more starter.

Now I wonder, how can I take advantage of this super powerful blue cheese that is invading my fridge? Can I use this as some sort of super-culture to make my own blue cheese happen from milk and rennet? How would I learn to do this?
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Re: fil mjolk RIP

Postby Gutted on Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Perhaps it was on a spoon, dish, bowel etc. Cross contamination rather than jumping from one bowel to another.
Gutted

Postby aehebay on Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:54 pm

You say it smells like blue cheese, but has it gone bad? If not, what do you think about using some of the blue cheese fil mjolk as a starter culture for a fresh batch of yogurt? You could then strain it like you would for greek-style yogurt and make a sort of cheese spread.

I am by no means a fermentation expert. I just hate to throw anything out unless it is truly useless. Besides, kitchen experiments can be great fun!
aehebay

Postby WWFSM on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:11 pm

The fil mjolk culture went to the chickens, they said it was delicious! I'm actually happy to give it to them, as some of them needed a bit of probiotics to help sure them up against the summer heat.

It definitely wasn't the utensils. But a good thought, my mind went there first too. We hadn't eaten any of the blue cheese yet, just brought it home and stuck it in the cheese drawer, where it migrated to the back and got forgotten. I love it when cheese does that, real cheese that is, it just gets better and better.

Since I use Fil Mjolk mostly for butter, I really want it to have a mild flavour. But I've ordered some more, and it gave me an excuse to get some kefir grains from that shop too. I'm curious what it will be like, never had kefier before.
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Return to Dairy Ferments