Fubar wrote:You need to throw those out...
Not too hasty...wild (spontaneous) fermentation works well with cider, if
you help it along a little. Fubar, I know you have a brewer's ethic with regard to these things, and I appreciate that, but there are other ways.
Zaraya, you definitely have mold growing on the surface, as Fubar points out, and it appears you may
also have some bacteria growing in there too (hard to determine though).
I know some will nay-say here, but personally I'd spoon off the mold and give 'er just a little sip to see what you got. I've done this many times...never been ill from it. If your cider tastes really tangy you've got some type of bacteria that's taken it over, and it won't turn into a proper alcoholic beverage. In which case, you can wait to see if turns to good cider vinegar for other uses, or toss it.
Two tricks to getting good spontaneous cider:
A) Use unwaxed, uncoated, ORGANIC
apple peels to inoculate your cider. The yeast that wants turn the apple into booze is already resident on the skin waiting to do its thing. If you trust the source of your apples, don't bother washing them - you'll just be rinsing off wild yeast. Peel some skin off the apple and drop it in your ferment, if it's not already ground up with the pomace.
B) Aerate like crazy! Get as much oxygen into the ferment as you can in the beginning. Follow Sandor's advice by stirring it often for the first few days, at least 2-3.