Affinage: Techniques, Microbes and Facilities
Explore the craft of cheesemaking and ripening in this three-day workshop. We’ll spend the first day making a Tomme cheese while viewing each step from the perspective of the affineur, and the second following the steps for ripening this and other cheeses. The third day will include a trip to a local cheesemaking farm for a tour of the facilities and discussion of affinage in practice. Topics include:
- Selection and Use of Ripening Cultures
- Bio-reactions between Microbes, Enzymes, and Cheese Components
- Affinage Techniques for various cheeses, including Bloomy rind, Washed rind, Blue, Alpine, Grana, Caciocavallo/Provolone, and Tomme
- Cheese Grading and Quality Control, and
- Facility Design, Construction. and Maintenance of Cellars, Caves, and Brining/Drying Rooms
Participants are encouraged to bring cheeses for tasting and evaluation.
This workshop will be held in Westminster, VT. Address and directions will be sent upon registration.
For availability, contact Peter or Rachel at Tel. 802.387.4041 or email@example.com
Spaces in workshops will be reserved upon reciept of registration and deposit. Fees for this workshop are $500, with $250 deposit required to secure a reservation. Please fill out 2013 WAC Registration Form, make checks payable to Westminster Artisan Cheesemaking and send to:
Westminster Artisan Cheese
131 West Parish Road
Westminster West, VT 05346